The Philippines ’ Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is targeting to complete more than 400 infrastructure projects in the Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX) that will be crucial to sustaining the economic development in Mindanao. Based on the 2021 accomplishment report from DPWH Region IX, 276 projects have been completed already in the region.
Department Secretary Roger G. Mercado said that there are still 482 ongoing infrastructure projects in the region with a budget of P14.733 billion. Included in the ongoing projects are the following:
- The 68.295-kilometer Siocon-Sirawai–Sibuco–Limpapa Road connecting the three municipalities of Zamboanga del Norte to Zamboanga City. This is set to be finished by 2022.
- The 79.346-kilometer Sindangan Bayog Lakewood Road which will connect the two provinces of Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur.
- The 17.22-kilometer Zamboanga City Diversion Road will serve as an alternate road for motorists going to Pagadian City and Zamboanga City for an established priority corridor located in Zamboanga City.
- The Buenavista-Bolong Coastal Bypass Road Project, an on-going alternate road from Pagadian City to Zamboanga City Road
- The 28.482-kilometer Ayala–La Paz Road, a convergence project of DPWH and the Department of Tourism, which will provide accessibility to Ayala-La Paz Resort by connecting the tourist site to NRJ Ayala–La Paz Road, Zamboanga City.
The DPWH chief expresses optimism that the agency will surpass its achievements in the Zamboanga Peninsula in 2021.